Did you know watermelon can reduce oil production in your skin so you get less acne and breakouts? Also, watermelon help heal old acne. Watermelon is packed with Vitamin A, reducing skin pore size and the amount of oil that your sebaceous glands secrete.
Benefit of eating watermelon
- Improve Heart Health
- Lower Inflammation
- Oxidative Stress
- Helps Prevent Macular Degeneration.
- After a workout, reach for watermelon instead of a Gatorade drink because watermelon help relieve muscle soreness.
Use as much of the ingredients you want, no right amount of it. Combine in a bowl with chickpea, corn, kale, beets, watermelon, cucumber and red cabbage. In the salad add your favorite dressing and mix up and eat it.
(See my salmon blog for the salmon recipe https://loseweightnotfaithblog.com/2019/04/09/salmon-blog/
Tuna Watermelon Salad
Red pepper and yellow bell peppers
Tuna (light mayonnaise and sprinkle original blend -dash seasoning)
Use as much of the ingredients you want, no right amount of it. Combine in a bowl with chickpea, corn, kale, beets, watermelon, cucumber and red cabbage, carrots and bell peppers. In the salad add your favorite dressing and mix up and eat it. I normally add the mix tuna with seasoning on top. ENJOY!!
Having a good core prevents me from muscle injuries and helps me perform daily tasks. Also, a good core protects my back against the pulling, lifting , pushing and bending I do as a registered nurse.
A plank is an exercise that helps sculpt your waistline and improve posture. Plank helps tone the abdomen areas and increase flexibility. When I first did a plank, I would shake a lot because my core was so weak. I started from 20 seconds and now I’m able to do 2-3 minutes straight. If you have never done a plank, I suggest you start with 20 seconds and increase up as time goes on. I have used the Pinterest plank challenge for 30 days to help strengthen my core.
Pinterest Plank hallenge for 30 days
Directions For Plank:
While in a plank, make sure your back is perfectly straight. Go down on your elbows and come up till your butt is in line with your back, head in neutral position, hold your hands and hold for minutes and engage your core. People always tell me they cannot do a plank, if he or she is not strong enough for a full plank, try doing the modified plank, go on down on your knees and you can hold up your legs or keep them on the ground.
Modified Plank (I do not own the right to this video, this video is showing you the correct way to perform planks).
Regular Plank (I do not own the right to this video, this video is showing you the correct way to perform planks).
2. A bonus core move when you master the plank is the side plank. Side Plank helps reduce fat on the sides of your stomach. Side plank strengthens the shoulders and arms too.
Direction For Side Plank
While lying on your side, put feet on top of one another, shoulder over the elbows and make sure your hips are straight, lift up or you can keep hands on the floor.
Side Plank (I do not own the right to this video, this video is showing you the correct way to perform side planks).
- Russian Twist
Russian twist engages all the abdomen muscles. I like the Russian twist because you can use one 5 or 10 lb. weight or a can of soup or ball or no weight with this exercise. This exercise helps trim down your abdomen and waistline. I am using Pinterest Russian twist challenge for 30 days. You start from 25 twists and work your way to 200 twists.
Direction For Russian twist :
Lay on your back then sit up with your knees bent. You can use 1 weight, a can of soup or ball. You just twist from side to side. For more advanced moves, keep the feet off the ground with legs crossed, hold stomach and contract the muscle as you twist side to side.
Russian Twist (I do not own the right to this video, this video is showing you the correct way to perform twist).
4. My favorite core body workout is the hollow body holds. This is great for strengthening the core and works out all abdomen muscles.
Directions For Hollow Body Holds:
This is how to do hollow body: lie down flat on your back and contract the abs, pulling the belly button towards the floor. The arms and legs should be held straight out from the body with hands and toes pointed. Slowly raise the shoulders and legs from the ground.
Hollow Body Holds (I do not own the right to this video, this video is showing you the correct way to perform Hollow Body Holds).
5. Abs roller /Ab Wheel
For anyone with chronic back problems or lower back problem should not do the ab roller.
kneel on the floor and grab the handles of the Ab Wheel. Your shoulders start over the wheel. Brace your core (suck in your stomach) and slowly roll the wheel forward, extending your body as far as you can. Use your abdominal muscles to pull the wheel back to the starting position. If you are having trouble with ab wheel work on planks to strengthen your back.
Ab Wheel (I do not own the right to this video, this video is showing you the correct way to perform Ab Wheel).
- Slider discs/ Core slider
I have increased my balance and strengthen my core by using the slider discs/ core slider/glider . I like that with the sliders disc/ core sliders he or she can do a full body workout with just using them. The workouts I like to do with the sliders are slider mountain climber , slider burpees and slider plank to pike one leg to engage my core. If you do not have sliders you can use paper plates.
- I do abs workout 3 days a week, I rotated the days so I can give my core rest days.
- I did Planks daily for one month to build up my core strength.
- I do strength training 30min 4 – 5 days a week.
- I eat a balanced diet.
My abs workout video is a 30 second interval workout challenge
Workout equipment need
- Weights 8-10 lbs or any weights or soup cans or water bottles for the Russian twist
- sliders or paper plates
- AB roller
- Resistance bands
- All of the products can be find on Amazon or in stores.
The video started with me doing the following for 30 second:
- Planks 30 seconds
- Hollow body holds 30 second
- Russian Twist 30 second
- Sliders 30 second
slider plank to pike one leg
- AB roller 30 second ( Do as much ab roller you can do in the 30 second with proper form. If you do the ab roller without proper form he or she can injure their back).
- resistance band squats ( Place resistance band in the center of your thighs and squats, side to side).
P.S I wear a sweatband to help engage my core more. I purchase it from amazon, plus I use it with my workouts, great sweat.
“If you feel insignificant, you better think again.Better wake up because you’re part of something way bigger. You’re part of something way bigger.Not just a speck in the universe.Not just some words in a bible verse.You are the living word. Ahh, you’re part of something way bigger. Bigger than you, bigger than we.Bigger than the picture they framed us to see.But now we see it and it ain’t no secret”. I love Beyonce new song “Bigger” because we are created for something bigger than ourselves. I believe that God has a purpose for us.
For more ab workout please check out Sworkit Ab & Core Workouts App its free. I like this app because your practice from the lowest five minutes to the highest 60 minutes.
I have realized that when I was very stressed out my hair would fall out. My hair falls out to the point I have to cut my hair shorter. I’ve found other ways to deal with my stress, such as exercising and practicing more self-care.
Hair loss can be caused by
Genetics – Hereditary hair loss.
Stress – Emotional, physically and illness.
Poor diet – Deficient in iron (anemia), B12 and protein.
Hormone -New mothers and menopausal women may experience hair loss due to drop in estrogen level. Also, thyroid imbalance can cause hair loss.
Medications – Antidepressants, anticoagulation, hypertension and cholesterol, oral contraceptives and chemotherapy.
Immune system – Alopecia.
Hair loss can occur by excessive use of heat styling tools.
The treatments that have helped my hair growth
- Trimming my hair when needed; help removes damaged and split ends.
- Hair growth supplements such as Sugar Bear Vitamins or Hair, Skin and Nail Vitamins and Biotin supplement. I normally take biotin supplement everyday, but now I take it once a week or not at all. Some people have experienced acne breakout from taking a biotin supplement.
- Deep conditioner is a great way to prevent breakage of hair because it helps nourish, strengthen and moisturize your hair.
- Having balanced diet has a huge effect on the health of your hair. It also depends on what you put into your body .If you lacked vitamins A, C, D and E, zinc, B vitamins, iron, biotin, protein and essential fatty acids it may slow down hair growth or even cause hair loss.
- I like to oil my scalp 2-3 week because my scalp is dry, but if you have an oily scalp once a week is enough. Oiling the scalp helps increase circulation, which helps make your scalp healthier.
- Hydration – If you want good hair please drink your water. Our body is made of 65 percent water. When we drink water it travels to our brain, lungs, blood, skin, bones, stomach, muscle, liver and kidney. Water support vitamins, which contributes to hair growth and reduce dandruff. If he or she is not drinking enough water the problems that can occur are hair thinning, split ends, brittle hair and stop growing. Your hair like a flower, without water the flower will not grow it would just die. If you want to know how much water to drink daily, you can use your weight in pounds and divided by 2 = numbers of ounces.
My hair type
What I do to my hair
For my hair I normally do a relaxer 2-3 times a year or less. The more often you relaxer your hair can cause hair loss because it weakens the hair. When my hair is not relaxer I get wash and set (Dominican blowout) with a deep conditioner treatment. I love to give my hair a break by getting my hair braid two times in a year. When my hair is braided for about two- three months, I make sure to oil my scalp regular which gives my hair nutrients to grow. Hair braiding can cause damage to the hair by pulling out your edges if it’s done too tightly.
Please take care of your hair when it’s in a protective style
The problem is when we have our hair braid or hair weaver we forget to take care of our own hair underneath. We need to take care of own hair with oil the scalp or washing the hair regular because hair left unattended will lead to breakage and hair loss. When it comes to my hair I make sure there are less hands in your hair meaning , when I relaxer my hair its only one person and know her by her name same goes with my hair braiding one lady.
Rosemary Essential oil for hair growth
You know my love for essential oils, so I have incorporated rosemary essential oil in my hair routine. Rosemary essential oil is an anti-inflammatory: it triggers hair growth, increase hair volume and help relieve itchy scalp. To make rosemary solution just dilute 10 drops in a carrier oil (coconut, jojoba oil, almond oil or use other oils. I normally buy Doo Gro Mega thick oil, the liquid version, add half to an empty spray bottle and add ten drops of rosemary essential oils and shake it up. You can use that oil on your scalp weekly or as needed. Also, you can add rosemary essential to your shampoo by adding a few drops in it.
My daily routine
After my routine wash set (Dominican blowout) , I normally oil my scalp with Doo Gro and rosemary essential oil mixture to moisturize my hair and help my hair grow and then I wrap my hair and put on a silk scarf. Once a week I would apply the rosemary mixture to my hair because I don’t want to over oil my hair or just use it in my shampoo.
I use a little hair lotion (Fantasia Carrot Growth Oil Moisturizer) and style and go. When I do not use the lotion, I used coconut moisturizer. When it comes to hair growth you have to try and see what works for you, but those are the things I have used to help my hair growth. Please be patient with your hair growing and just be consistent with what you are doing.
“Focus on one thing, make it your priority, and stick with it no matter what!”. My current hair is below:
I am Healthy and Happy !!!!
1 butter squash
Meatball – see my pasta blog for the meatball recipe https://loseweightnotfaithblog.com/2018/07/03/keishas-pasta-dish/
Drizzle of olive oil or spray olive oil
Dash seasoning (use any seasoning you like) or salt and black pepper to keep it simple.
- Follow my meatball recipe from my pasta blog for the meatball section.
- Wash and dry the butter squash .Use a sharp knife to cut the butter squash in half. Use a spoon to remove the inside of the squash and put it in a baking pan. Drizzle the olive oil or spray olive oil on the top on the squash and sprinkle desired seasoning (dash seasoning or black pepper and salt). Bake at 400 for 15- 20 minutes or until the squash is brown and soft in the inside. You can check if the squash is done by sticking a fork in the squash and the fork comes out smooth it’s done.
- Remove squash from the oven, let cool off 5- 10 minutes, and then use a fork or your hands to pull the strands of squash away from the peel.
- Serve the squash with meatball and sprinkle parmesan cheese.
“Every struggle in your life has shaped you into the person you are today. Be thankful for the hard times, they can only make your stronger”. Sorry I have been away the past couple months. I have been battling two sinus infections because of my allergies. During that time, I realized that it’s in the night season (difficult times) we grow. He or she may feel like a caterpillar but your wings are coming in and your transformation is coming, so praise the Lord because your breakthrough is coming. Amen!!
“God, grant me the compassion to give patient, loving care, to help the sick and injured, and bring comfort to despair. At the end of every busy day, as I lay my head to rest, Please give me peace within my heart to know I’ve done my best”.
Happy Nurses Week to my CCU Family and please remember to practice more self-care. God Bless you!!
Believe in yourself and you will be unstoppable. Trust in God.
- Fruits are always a great snack (I like to eat pears and apples because of high fiber content).
- Nuts are perfect for snacking (I like to combine reduced sugar cranberries , almond (no salt), and peanuts in a mix. I like to bring a bag of the nut mix to work or put it my purse for when I go on errands. Just remember to measure it out so you don’t overeat. I have realized nuts are very easy to overeat plus high in calories, but a good source of protein and help satisfies craving.
- Popcorn – Boom Chicka POP Sweet and Salty Kettle Corn – A delicious popcorn to satisfy the salt and sweet craving. 1 cup is 70 calories. Popcorn is high in fiber and lower in calories than potato chips.
- IWON Organic Protein Puffs – Planted based protein chips, 10g protein, 5g Fiber, 1 g sugar. They taste like Cheetos, but healthy version.
- Celery juice- Please check out my celery blog on the benefits and how to prepare it.
- I love Hummus because you add to fruits, veggies or salad.
- Cut up your favorite apples in pieces, add spoon peanut butter and sprinkle powder cinnamon.
- Outshine Fruit Bars are great substitute for ice cream because it’s made with real fruit.
- Peanut Butter Whole Wheat Wrap.
Peanut Butter Whole wheat wrap
- 1 Whole wheat wrap
- 1 tablespoon peanut butter
- 1 Tsp ground powder cinnamon
- 1 yellow banana ( sliced)
Whole wheat wrap (use a frying pot to warm up the wrap on both sides until brown). Add 1 tablespoon of peanut butter, yellow banana (slice) add to the peanut butter. Sprinkle ground cinnamon .Rolled wrap and slice and eat.
“Strength grows in the moments when you think you can’t go on but you keep going anyway”. I know most of my blog posts had been related to foods is because 80 percent of weight loss is related to diet and 20 percent is related to exercise. I am focusing on eating a balanced diet instead of hopping on and off diets.
What I normally bring to work for a snack!!
Peanut Butter Whole wheat wrap great for a snack or breakfast !!
I like hummus on veggies !!
Work lunch bag !!!
perfect snacks for work!!!
- Alexia Sweet Potatoes Fries- 1 serving
- Mix of colorful bell peppers- ½ cup
- Onion -couple of slices
- Corn – 1/2 cup
- Chickpea – 1/2 cup
- Spinach – 2 cups
- Original Blend Salt-Free Dash Seasoning – Sprinkle
- Drizzle of olive oil
First drizzle some olive oil in a frying pan, sauté mixed peppers, onion, corn, and chickpea on medium heat. When the sauté mixes is slightly brown, add the spinach, sprinkle dash seasoning, stir and reduced the heat to allow the spinach to cook. When the spinach is cooked, mix is ready.
For sweet potato fries I used an air fryer, set the air fryer 400F for 15- 20 or until wedges are crisp. Also, you can bake sweet potato fries in the oven at 425 F for 20-25 minutes.
This meal contains about 16 grams of protein. I really enjoy this meal because I was craving for something healthy, light and satisfying.
“My thing is that I don’t give no person that much power over my path that I’m walking. Not one person can make or break what I’m doing, except me or God”.
Meatless Monday is a day he or she don’t eat meat which is a good idea to give your body a break from meat product and eat more fruits and vegetables. This can lead to better health in reducing heart disease and reduce carbon footprint.
- Olive oil (I used small amount of olive oil to rub the salmon)
- Thyme – I used fresh dry thyme
- Bell peppers red and yellow -Use as much as you like
- Salt – sprinkle
- Original Blend salt -free Dash Seasoning or Badia Sazon Tropical Seasoning – Sprinkle
- Tomato – 1 cut in pieces
- Onion -half pieces
- Basil, parsley, – Sprinkle
- Garlic – 1 crushed
- 1 Salmon fillet fresh
- Ginger – small piece of fresh ginger
- Scallions -half of scallion cut in piece
- Reynolds foil
Start by preheating your oven to 400 degrees. After cleaning the salmon, put it in a bowl with salt, basil, parsley and the preferred seasoning. Rub a little bit of olive oil on the front and back of salmon (please do not use too much oil because when the salmon is cooked it produce a lot of oil). Add the salmon to foil and top the salmon with bell peppers, thyme , tomato, garlic, ginger, scallions. Cover the foil and twist the ends. Bake for 15- 20 minutes until salmon flakes easily with a fork. Remove from the oven, cool, ready to eat.
“Don’t ever let someone tell you that you can’t do something. You got a dream, you gotta protect it. When people can’t do something themselves, they are going to tell you that you can’t do it. You want something, go get it. Period”. Please check out my blog on how to bake salmon in foil. Salmon is my favorite protein because it’s rich in omega 3 and fatty acids, great for your heart and body. Served the salmon with baked sweet potato or quinoa rice!!
Breakouts are caused by
- Taking or discontinuing birth control pills
- Consuming protein shakes such as isolate whey and whey protein
- Being stressed out
- Consuming foods that are high in saturated fats and high in sugar
- Consuming too many dairy products
- Sleeping with makeup on
- Not washing your face after a workout
This is what I have been doing to reduce my acne
- Go see a dermatologist and find the right products for your skin type because I found my acne is based on hormonal acne, so I have been focusing on balance my hormone the natural way.
- Wash your face after workouts because the sweat will clog your pores which lead to more breakouts.
- Drink water
- Limit your sugar intake
- Reduce stress in your life
- Do not squeeze your pimples because they will leave black marks on your face.
- Stop touching your face
- Change your pillowcase once a week
- Wash your face with benzoyl peroxide wash
- Apply acne on the spot treatment on pimples
- Do a mask treatment weekly
- Exfoliate your face 2-3 times a week
- Clean your cell phone/ Iphone daily
- Find out which foods are causing your breakouts
- Add vitamin C serum to your face care because vitamin c serum promotes collagen.
- Limit dairy products
- Take probiotics
- Use sunscreen daily
- Drink celery juice – check out my blog post on celery juice benefits and how to prepare it.
- Follow a healthy diet that contained complex carbohydrate, zinc, vitamin A, E omega- fatty acids. Balance diet is the best one because foods are full of nutrients and vitamins that are beneficial to our well-being. A diet high in fat increase sebum production.
To eat dairy or not eat dairy
I have always thought about going dairy free, but I did not think I would be able to do it. I was scared because so many foods contain dairy products. I decided to go dairy free because of my dermatologist’s recommendation. She told me to limit dairy products because the hormones that are found in milk can over stimulate oil glands and cause overproduction of oil. Also, she told me to stop drinking protein shakes because isolates whey or whey protein cause breakouts. Protein shakes increase the oily serum production. She recommended vegan protein shakes if I absolutely must have one.
I have been dairy free since the end of August. The only dairy product I still use is cream for my coffee and the reason why, is because I don’t like dairy free cream. I am still on the hunt for a good one, so let me know if you come across one.
My tips to go dairy free are:
- Milk – almond milk, cashew milk or coconut milk – I use almond with vanilla
- Regular cheese – daiya cheese or vegan cheese (dairy free cheese and taste great- I love daiya cheese
- Yogurt – Almond based yogurt or coconut based dairy free yogurt (So delicious) – I try both almond based yogurt and coconut but I am not a big fan of these products.
So delicious and daiya food is a dairy free company that carry delicious dairy free products from milk, cheese, frozen dessert, yogurt and creamers.
Essential oils that has helped my acne
My two favorite essential oils to use for acne are use Tea Tree Oil and Jojoba oil. Jojoba oil regulates sebum production similar to the sebum the body produces. It helps the body not to produce more sebum. If you have oily skin and breakouts, Jojoba oil can help balance the sebum production. It can help reduce pimples and control blackheads. You can apply a small amount of oil and apply with your fingertips and pat onto face. You can use Jojoba oil with Tea Tree Oil. I love Tea Tree essential oil. It’s anti-inflammatory and it helps prevent and reduce acne scars and leads to clear skin. You drop a few drops onto a cotton swab and dot directly on blemishes. If you feel it’s too strong for your face, you can dilute the oil with carrier oil such as Jojoba oil, coconut oil or almond oil. I normally add Tea Tree Oil into my mask treatment and I have experienced great results.
I hope this blog helps you to have an acne free face. Please remember to be patient with yourself on your journey to have a clean face. It’s easy to become frustrated because your face is not cleaning up fast, but continue your face routine. When we think about clean skin, it does not only apply to external skin, but the internal routine is very important as well, such as what he or she eats, stress level, and sleeping. As Jennifer Lopez said “Beauty is only skin deep. I think what’s really important is finding a balance of mind, body, and spirit”
“Beauty begins the moment you decide to be yourself”. Please check out my acne blog about how I reduce my acne and what I have learned along the way.
I love herbal tea for all the benefit it provides to the body, such as antioxidants and vitamins, relieve stress, reduced inflammation, and great for skin, improves digestion and boost the immune system. These are my favorite tea Fennel tea, Dandelion / Roasted Dandelion, Green Tea and Cerasee Tea, but I still like a nice cup of coffee.
- Helps reduce inflammation
- Helps lower blood pressure
- Help relieves colic from babies
- Help digestion
- Help balances hormones levels
- Help weight loss
- Reduce bloating
- Natural diuretic
- Reduce craving
Dandelion / Roasted Dandelion
- Reduce bloating
- Liver and kidney cleanse
- Have high antioxidants
- Help your blood sugar
- Help reduce inflammation
- Boost immune support
- Natural diuretic
- Lower cholesterol
- Help acne
- Help you to burn fat
- Good for your heart
- Immune system boost
- Calm the stomach
- Reduce inflammation
- Good for skin
Cerasee tea – Jamaican tea (taste bitter tea)
- Blood purifier
- Help remove toxins from the blood
- Help circulation problems
- High in antioxidants , vitamins and nutrients
Celestial Seasoning Sleepytime detox (help me to sleep)
- Help me to relax and to sleep
- Natural cleansing
- Sleep tea contains Aloe, Green Rooibos and Dandelion Root
- Improve sleep
- Relieve stress
- Aid in digestion
- Alleviates cold symptoms
- Treat inflammation
2-3 cups of cold water
Raw honey – optional to sweet tea
Wash the ginger, you can peel or not peeled but cut it into small pieces. Add the ginger into the saucepan with 2 to 3 cups of cold water. Bring the ginger water to boil on medium heat; After that, turn down the heat and simmer for 20-40 minutes. When the tea is done, remove the ginger. The taste will be strong, so you can add honey.
- Natural anti- inflammatory
- Helps with nausea and stomach aches
- Aide in digestion
- Help relieve sore throat
- Help reduce cold, congestion and sinus problems.
“I believe everyone in the world is born with genius-level talent. Apply yourself to whatever you’re genius at and you can do anything in the world”