We are all different people, which means when we do the same exercises as other people, we get different results. Find an exercise that works for you.
When you go on Instagram and look at a person’s photo, that person’s results depend on many things, for instance: his or her calorie intake, body type, motivation, genetics, workout types, and what they are willing to give up. Also, they could have gotten surgery or have been taking weight loss supplements. Stop comparing yourself to other people because you have no idea what their journey is all about.
Find the right diet for you.
My advice is to do your research on the diet you want to do because I have seen people start diets from intermittent fasting to the keto diet but they go too extreme with their chosen diet. Or they do not know anything about the diet but just follow friends or somebody who is doing it. Please research the diet, find out how to apply it to your life and whether or not the diet is safe because you do not want a diet that will cost your life. Find a diet that can adapt with your lifestyle so that you are successful at it. For example, if a person does a very strict diet, which is different from their norm, the success rate will be less and the person will gain back their weight.
We shouldn’t be on the sideline, just hoping and wishing, we should get in the game. Please go find out what diet works for you. You cannot say you have tried everything to lose weight or to be healthy if you are still in the same condition or situation. Just remember if one diet or exercise does not work, there are still many others to try.
So, try new diets or exercises but give your body time to adjust. Give it at least 2-3 months and you can measure your results to see the pros and cons to your exercise workout or diet change.
Here are my tips
- Know why you want to lose weight.
- Schedule your exercise.
- If you mess up your diet one day, just continue, don’t give up
- Don‘t focus on your feelings because if we act on our feelings, most of the time nothing will get done.
- Form good habits – whether it is eating salad with every meal, drinking more water, or exercising 30 minutes a day.
- Motivation is a choice because you are not going to be motivated everyday to workout but you have to make the decision to do so.
- Eat more whole foods.
- Do not focus on the scale, find other tools to measure your progress, such as taking before and after pictures, using measuring tape to measure areas of your body, or using tight clothes that you are unable to fit as you track your progress.
- Find what works for you.
- Please remember slow and steady win the race
I leave you guys with a quote from my new favorite book ‘What I Know For Sure’ by Oprah Winfrey
“Wherever you are in your journey, I hope you, too, will keep encountering challenges. It is a blessing to be able to survive them, to be able to keep putting one foot in front of the other, to be in a position to make the climb up life’s mountain, knowing that the summit still lies ahead. And every experience is a valuable teacher.
Happy New Year and God bless you !!!
“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time”. This year, let’s focus on changing habits than making big resolutions goals. When we think of goals we always think we need hours to complete, but instead we just need 15 minutes to 1 hour or any much time we can dedicate to each day. This year, let’s focus on making small changes that can add to a big difference in the long run. My number one goal for me this year is not to give up on myself.
The main benefits of celery are as follows: celery is rich in vitamin K, Folate, Vitamin A, Potassium, Vitamin C and fiber.
- Curbs cravings
- Lowers cholesterol
- Controls blood pressure
- Helps You to Relax
- Cleanses blood
- Natural diuretic and natural detox
- Reduces inflammation
- Balances ph
- Improves kidney / bowel function
- Boosts weight loss
- Helps with sleeping
- Great for the skin
I decided to do a 30 day challenge of juicing celery, at first it was weird just drinking celery. A couple years ago I could not see myself eating or drinking celery. It just did not look good to me but now I love this veggie. I sauté it, juice it or eat it raw with some good hummus. Celery is the most underestimated vegetable because it looks so unattractive but it’s full of vitamins and nutrients. From drinking celery, I have experienced less bloating and I feel lighter. Also, I feel more relaxed and get better sleep. During this month, I suffered from bad acne. While drinking celery, I could feel the acne going away. I love to drink my celery juice in the morning or at night while at work on empty stomach. With the use of celery juice, I reduce my melatonin intake and I remember waking up one morning to say I had the best sleep.
- 2-3 stalks of organic Celery
- Strainer or cheese cloth
- Juicer or Blender
- ½ cup to 1 cup of cold water
Cut off the bottom of the celery and discard it, cut celery in pieces, put it bowl of cold water, and let it soak for 10mins or less to remove any impurities. Wash the celery again. Add to juicer or blender. I used my Nutri- ninja blender. Blend the celery till its smooth and you get juice like consistency. After the celery is juiced, with a bowel, put a strainer or cheese cloth over it. Pour the celery juice and use a spoon to press down in the strainer to get more of celery juice. It is best to drink celery juice as soon as prepared to get most of its benefits and also drink it on empty stomach. I normally drink it as soon as I prepare it or the next day. It tastes the same.
“The only limit to the height of your achievements is the reach of your dreams and your willingness to work hard for them.”
The truth is I have not been consistent with my workouts and healthy eating for months. I have been stress eating lately, which has led to eating more and working out less. Yes, I have gained some weight, not as much as before I started my weight loss journey but enough to make feel uncomfortable. I am not proud of it, but I am not denying it either. When I gain weight, its goes to my breasts, thighs and stomach. It also settles on my butt and face. I am not perfect, I am a human being, life happens.
With my stress eating, working the night shift and hormones, my face has been breaking out more. My weakness is that I am a big bread lover, rice lover, chocolate lover and candy lover. It’s been a fact that working the night shift can make losing weight a struggle. Working nights created an imbalance in my cortisol level and hormones. The cravings are high and I am often sleep deprived. The shift I work will not be my excuse. I do believe that weight loss is possible working the night shift. I believe the first step in helping yourself is admitting the truth and facing the problem at hand. It’s never too late to start over.
I was feeling sad and terrible about my weight gain but then I told myself this is my journey and there will times that my diet is great and times it’s not. I just have to get back on the horse and ride it. I did it before and I will do it again and better. My journey continues and I am back putting the work in.
“Stop hating yourself for falling off track or not being where you thought you’d be. Life doesn’t stop because you decide to be mean to yourself. Move Forward. Begin again.
I miss you guys now back to new goals.
I am sharing my cure for seasonal allergies and lack of sleep with the use of essential oil therapy. A couple years ago, I found out from an ENT doctor that I have allergies. My allergies were not seasonal but year round. The allergy symptoms I suffered from were congestion, fatigue, itchy skin, sneezing and coughing. Basically feeling like crap all the time. The worst part is that I would be tired before I started working my 12 hour shift. I felt I did not have the strength to take care of patients, and at the end of night I would feel exhausted. My allergies were so bad that I called out sick multiple times. The allergies caused me to lose my voice two times. I often had fever and multiple respiratory infections because of my allergies. I got tested by ENT, and was told that I was allergic to some trees, mold and dust mites. I got the allergy shot as ENT recommended. I did not get relief from symptoms immediately so I used essential oils. My favorite essential oils are peppermint and lavender. I love the peppermint oil because it treats seasonal allergy symptoms by reducing congestion. Also, peppermint oil provides great relief for colds and sinuses.
According to Dr AXE.com, peppermint oil is one of the best reliefs for seasonal allergy symptoms because it relaxes muscles in your nasal passages and helps to clear out the muck and pollen from your respiratory tract during allergy season. It’s considered one of the best essential oils for allergies because it’s an expectorant and anti-inflammatory. Another great benefit of peppermint oil is that it increases energy and increases alertness. When I used the peppermint oil, I would drop a few drops on my finger tip and smell it. Right away I would feel my congestion leaving and I would be able to breathe. Peppermint smells very minty. I always have small bottle of my peppermint oil in bag or uniform pants pocket. My mom loves peppermint oil. She uses it to relieve her headaches. She would rub her temples, forehead back and neck or just breathing in. Peppermint oil reduces most of my seasonal allergies and it’s natural.
Lavender oil is my go to essential oil therapy for helping to calm down after a 12 hour shift. It also helps to put me to sleep. Lavender’s oil is an antibacterial essential oil. A few lavender oil benefits include: reducing anxiety, stress, and relieves pain. I rub some of the lavender oil on the bottom of my feet and put some in my palms and breathe in deeply. Also, I rub it on my temples and on my body. Also, you can add it to your bath.
I hope that peppermint and lavender essential oil provide with you some relief. Both essential oils can be strong so you can dilute the oil with carrier oil. I use jojoba oil.
- Salt fish/ Cod Fish
- 1 can of Double Deuce Ackee
- One half onion diced
- One plum tomato diced
- Sprinkle salt
- Sprinkle black pepper
- 2 tablespoon of cooking oil or more
Cooking the saltfish
- Soak the saltfish in cold water for 1 hour to 2 hours in order to help remove some of the salt. Salt fish has a very salty taste.
- Put salt fish with cold water on stovetop to cook.
- You will know when the saltfish is cooked because it will break apart easy.
- Drain the water from the saltfish. You can run cold water on the fish to cool it because it will be hot. Put the fish on a plate, remove the bone from the center of the fish and break into pieces.
Cooking the Ackee
- Drain the water from the can of Ackee.
- Boil a pot of water then add the Ackee to it.
- Cook for 5 minutes until soft. Do not overcook.
- Use strainer to drain the water off the Ackee.
- Heat frying pan on the stovetop until hot – add 2 tablespoon of cooking oil.
- Sauté onion and ripe tomatoes
- Add saltfish
- Set aside the onion, tomatoes and saltfish on one side of the pot, on the other side, add Ackee then gently stir.
- Sprinkle black pepper and sprinkle the salt ( option)
- Cook for 1 or 2 minutes.
- Serve with rice and fried dumplings or cooked foods. Please be careful when eating the saltfish because small bones can still be in the fish.
I can’t be a pessimist because I’m alive. To be a pessimist means that you have agreed that human life is an academic matter, so I’m forced to be an optimist. I’m forced to believe that we can survive whatever we must survive. But the future of the Negro in this country is precisely as bright or as dark as the future of the country. It is entirely up to the American people and our representatives-it is entirely up to the American people whether or not they are going to face, and deal with, and embrace this stranger whom they maligned so long”. Please check out my blog for a Jamaican Ackee and Saltfish recipe. My blog link is in my bio. Thanks. I cannot be a pessimist because I believe we were created by God for a higher calling, but not just to work and die. Nowadays the world is filled with so much negativity; lets us focus on the good and the good we can do.
Why I am getting bloated? No one likes the feeling of being bloated. The number one reason why is because it’s uncomfortable. I hate when I feel bloated from my period or when my body is retaining more water from me consuming more sodium and eating certain foods. Bloating is an issue we are all facing. But it is important for us to find out what foods make us bloated so that we can reduce the intake of that food. Bloating can be managed by being aware of the foods we eat and how they make us feel afterward.
What causes bloating?
- Increasing sodium intake causes more retaining of water.
- You may be allergic to gluten and wheat or have an intolerance to carbohydrates, if you feel more bloating, diarrhea or nausea after you eat carbohydrates.
- Lactose intolerance causes diarrhea, nausea, bloating after ingesting dairy products.
- Eating too much fatty food can contribute to bloating.
- Eating too many vegetables such as cabbage, cauliflower, beans.
- Constipation can cause bloating.
- Eating large meals.
How to help with bloating
- Reduce your sodium intake.
- Get a gluten sensitivity test by your doctor if you are experiencing gluten intolerance or go gluten free.
- If you experience abdominal cramps and bloating, you can go lactose free. Also, you can go to your doctor have a hydrogen breath test. The hydrogen breath test will check to see whether or not you are digesting milk products properly.
- Exercise frequently to feel less bloated.
- Drink a lot of water to flush out your system.
- Take digestive enzyme supplements to help your body break down the foods.
- My favorite vegetable to help me with bloating is celery. It is great for bloating because it’s a natural diuretic, so it helps the body get rid of fluids.
- Take your probiotic supplement or try Greek yogurt
- My favorite fruits that help with bloating are pineapple and papaya because they help break down proteins in the stomach and make digestion smooth.
- Make sure you are free from constipation by adding fiber to your diet.
- Eating smaller meals throughout the day to control your hunger, helps with bloating.
“No matter how many mistakes you make or how slow your progress, you are still way ahead of everyone who isn’t trying”. The most common question I received about weight loss is how I get rid of bloating. Bloating is an issue we are all facing. But it is important for us to find out what foods make us bloated so that we can reduce the intake of that food. Bloating can be managed by being aware of the foods we eat and how they make us feel afterward. . This is my favorite picture from the summer.
At the end of August, one of my friends at work mentioned the pop up museum where everything is created out of candies. In order to get tickets, you have to order online. The tickets cost $34 for adults and $26 for kids (4-12). Candytopia is located @ Penn Plaza 145 W 32nd Street New York, NY 1000.
I made a reservation for two at Candytopia on September 5, 2018 at 1:30pm. When I arrived at the event with my friend, there was a big yellow taxi by the entrance. The line was full of people of different age groups waiting to enter Candytopia. While we waited, we had to sign up by computer for the sugar rush. Sugar Rush is a machine with a camera that takes your picture. There are three rooms that the machine takes pictures in.
The place itself is huge. It has a Willy Wonka factory vibe. The rooms are very colorful and the exhibits are made strictly out of candy. It was amazing to see how much work went into making these pieces of art. The workers were bubbly and friendly and they are more than happy to take pictures and videos for you. The interactive experiences include taking pictures and playing with some of the objects.
They let you take your time in each room with different themes and don’t ever rush you out. It’s amazing to see what type of art people can make out of candy. They take you from room to room and there is also a lot of candy along the way that you can eat inside. The whole thing leads up to a huge marshmallow pool that makes you want to scream. In the marshmallow room, the worker instructs you to remove your shoes, bag and phones. If you have signed up for a sugar rush at the beginning, you can use your sugar rush to have the candy machine camera, take pictures of you inside the giant marshmallow, confetti room and sinkhole.
I really enjoyed the Candytopia, it was a fun experience and I got a lot candies. I would advise everyone to check out this pop up museum before it’s gone.
“The secret of being happy is accepting where you are in life and making the most out of the everyday”. Every day is not going to be perfect day, but when you learn to make the most out it that is happiness.