Curry Chicken, Chickpea and Butternut Squash Recipe
- Blue mountain Jamaican Curry powder 1 Tbsp.
- Half piece of onion
- Sprinkle salt to taste
- Chicken cut in small pieces
- Sprinkle Accent seasoning
- Sprinkle Complete seasoning Sazon
- Garlic -1 crushed
- Fresh dry tithes – as much as desired
- Half scallion cut in pieces
- 1 scotch bonnet pepper for spicy taste (optional)
- Fresh Ginger – small piece (optional)
- 1/2 cup of oil or 1 cup of oil (depends on the amount of chicken)
- 1 carrot – cut in pieces (optional)
- 1 potato or sweet potato (optional)
- Hot water
- 1- can of Goya low sodium chickpeas
After cleaning, cut the chicken up in small pieces.
- Place the chicken in a bowl with distilled vinegar and cold water. Let soak for 1-2 minutes.
- Rinse the chicken with cold water.
- Add the chicken, curry, garlic, onion, scallions, dry tithes and ginger to the bowl. Sprinkle the Complete seasoning Sazon, Accent seasoning and salt. Add a small amount of cold water to the chicken to make sure the chicken is mixed well with the curry.
- In a sauté pot, put ½ cup of oil, heat the pot until hot. Add the chicken by itself to the pot.
- Cook the chicken until brown on both sides because you want the curry to cook.
- Remove the chicken, drain the oil from the pot. You can wipe out the pot or use another pot.
- Add the chicken with the curry mix to the pot, add some hot water to chicken, just enough hot water to cover the chicken and help it cook.
- Add carrots, potato to the pot and 1 scotch bonnet pepper.
- Add chickpea
- Cover the pot and reduce the heat to cook for about 25 minutes or until the chicken makes gravy.
- You can tell the chicken is done by tasting it.
- If desired, serve with rice and veggies.
1 butternut squash
Drizzle of olive oil or spray olive oil
Dash seasoning (use any seasoning you like) or salt and black pepper to keep it simple.
- Wash and dry the butter squash .Use a sharp knife to cut the butter squash in half. Use a spoon to remove the inside of the squash and put it in a baking pan. Drizzle the olive oil or spray olive oil on the top on the squash and sprinkle desired seasoning (dash seasoning or black pepper and salt).
- Bake at 400 for 15- 20 minutes or until the squash is brown and soft in the inside. You can check if the squash is done by sticking a fork in the squash and the fork comes out smooth.
- Remove squash from the oven, let cool off 5- 10 minutes, and then use a fork or your hands to pull the strands of squash away from the peel.
- Serve the squash with chickpea and Curry Chicken
How to cook chickpeas from scratch
- 1-cup uncooked Goya chickpeas / Garbanzo beans
- Salt sprinkled
- One clove of garlic
- 10 cups cold water ( or make sure half of the pot is full of water )
-Tips for cooking the perfect chickpeas are to soak it in water overnight in a bowl or soak it in water for 3-4 hours before cooking it.
- Put a pot on medium heat with water and salt on the stove. When the water is boiling adds the chickpea and covers the pot and reduces the heat.
- When the water in the pot is reduced, add more cold water to cover the chickpeas so they can cook and repeat until the peas are cooked.
- Also, don’t forget to frequently stir the peas and cook the chickpea for 2 hours.
- You will know the chickpeas are cooked when you are able to squeeze it with your fingers and it is soft.
- Drain the water and pour it in a bowl, when the chickpeas cool off, put in the refrigerator. Chickpeas are great for breakfast, add to salad and add to dinner.
“Life is a circle of happiness, sadness, hard times, and good times. If you are going through hard times, have faith that good times are on the way”. The battles belong to the Lord. During quarantine, chickpeas have become important ingredients to have in your house. Chickpeas/ Garbanzo beans have high levels of iron, zinc, folate, phosphorus, and B vitamins. Plus chickpeas are a good source of fiber and protein. Curry Chicken, Chickpea and Butternut Squash with a kale salad. Enjoy!!