Breakouts are caused by
- Taking or discontinuing birth control pills
- Consuming protein shakes such as isolate whey and whey protein
- Being stressed out
- Consuming foods that are high in saturated fats and high in sugar
- Consuming too many dairy products
- Sleeping with makeup on
- Not washing your face after a workout
This is what I have been doing to reduce my acne
- Go see a dermatologist and find the right products for your skin type because I found my acne is based on hormonal acne, so I have been focusing on balance my hormone the natural way.
- Wash your face after workouts because the sweat will clog your pores which lead to more breakouts.
- Drink water
- Limit your sugar intake
- Reduce stress in your life
- Do not squeeze your pimples because they will leave black marks on your face.
- Stop touching your face
- Change your pillowcase once a week
- Wash your face with benzoyl peroxide wash
- Apply acne on the spot treatment on pimples
- Do a mask treatment weekly
- Exfoliate your face 2-3 times a week
- Clean your cell phone/ Iphone daily
- Find out which foods are causing your breakouts
- Add vitamin C serum to your face care because vitamin c serum promotes collagen.
- Limit dairy products
- Take probiotics
- Use sunscreen daily
- Drink celery juice – check out my blog post on celery juice benefits and how to prepare it.
- Follow a healthy diet that contained complex carbohydrate, zinc, vitamin A, E omega- fatty acids. Balance diet is the best one because foods are full of nutrients and vitamins that are beneficial to our well-being. A diet high in fat increase sebum production.
To eat dairy or not eat dairy
I have always thought about going dairy free, but I did not think I would be able to do it. I was scared because so many foods contain dairy products. I decided to go dairy free because of my dermatologist’s recommendation. She told me to limit dairy products because the hormones that are found in milk can over stimulate oil glands and cause overproduction of oil. Also, she told me to stop drinking protein shakes because isolates whey or whey protein cause breakouts. Protein shakes increase the oily serum production. She recommended vegan protein shakes if I absolutely must have one.
I have been dairy free since the end of August. The only dairy product I still use is cream for my coffee and the reason why, is because I don’t like dairy free cream. I am still on the hunt for a good one, so let me know if you come across one.
My tips to go dairy free are:
- Milk – almond milk, cashew milk or coconut milk – I use almond with vanilla
- Regular cheese – daiya cheese or vegan cheese (dairy free cheese and taste great- I love daiya cheese
- Yogurt – Almond based yogurt or coconut based dairy free yogurt (So delicious) – I try both almond based yogurt and coconut but I am not a big fan of these products.
So delicious and daiya food is a dairy free company that carry delicious dairy free products from milk, cheese, frozen dessert, yogurt and creamers.
Essential oils that has helped my acne
My two favorite essential oils to use for acne are use Tea Tree Oil and Jojoba oil. Jojoba oil regulates sebum production similar to the sebum the body produces. It helps the body not to produce more sebum. If you have oily skin and breakouts, Jojoba oil can help balance the sebum production. It can help reduce pimples and control blackheads. You can apply a small amount of oil and apply with your fingertips and pat onto face. You can use Jojoba oil with Tea Tree Oil. I love Tea Tree essential oil. It’s anti-inflammatory and it helps prevent and reduce acne scars and leads to clear skin. You drop a few drops onto a cotton swab and dot directly on blemishes. If you feel it’s too strong for your face, you can dilute the oil with carrier oil such as Jojoba oil, coconut oil or almond oil. I normally add Tea Tree Oil into my mask treatment and I have experienced great results.
I hope this blog helps you to have an acne free face. Please remember to be patient with yourself on your journey to have a clean face. It’s easy to become frustrated because your face is not cleaning up fast, but continue your face routine. When we think about clean skin, it does not only apply to external skin, but the internal routine is very important as well, such as what he or she eats, stress level, and sleeping. As Jennifer Lopez said “Beauty is only skin deep. I think what’s really important is finding a balance of mind, body, and spirit”
“Beauty begins the moment you decide to be yourself”. Please check out my acne blog about how I reduce my acne and what I have learned along the way.