How to control food craving
I went to a seminar in July about Obesity, Diet, and Behavior. In the seminar, the speaker discussed ways to control food cravings. Food craving is an intense desire to consume a specific food and it’s different than normal hunger. The ways to control food craving are mentioned below:
- Drinking water before eating. The speaker recommends drinking two 8 ounce glasses of water, half an hour before meals to help reduce cravings and hunger. This also reduces your calorie intake.
- Increase your protein intake –increasing your protein intake will help you stay full and satisfied to reduce craving. Try to have protein in every meal.
- Eat solid food as opposed to liquids – The speaker states that liquid foods do not provide quite the same hunger satiety as solid foods.
- Fill up on fiber – increase your fiber intake to help reduce your craving. My favorite fiber foods are reduced sugar cranberries, celery, oatmeal and many other fruit and vegetables which are high in fiber. If you are unable to get your fiber intake, you can use Metamucil fibers supplement. Please make sure you increase your water intake to prevent constipation and bloating from the fiber.
- Control stress – reduces stress in your life. When a person is under more stress, he or she tends to have a high craving for unhealthy foods. The speaker states stress glucocorticoid hormones like cortisol, promotes weight gain, especially visceral abdominal fat. If you are carrying weight around your belly its more than likely caused by stress. You can reduce stress in your life by exercise, prayer, mediating, eating well, using essential oils and talking to someone to relieve it.
- Get regular and restful sleep – The speaker states that sleep deprivation has been shown to lead to strong cravings. Practice going to bed at time the same time if possible to create a habit for your body. I work the night shift so what helps me to sleep is keeping my room dark, no television. My curtains are thick, so they keep out any light – including the sun. You can use blackout curtains, blinds or shades to keep the light out of the room. Also, I use essential oils. I use lavender oil to help me sleep and relax. I use peppermint oil or eucalyptus oil to help relieve my congestion and to help breathe easier so I can sleep well. When I cannot sleep I use melatonin 5mg or less.
- Reduce spontaneity and impulsive snacking with planned meals. Prepare meals weekly to reduce impulsive cravings. Always have healthy snacks in the house. Do not buy or reduce the amount of junk food in your house because when you are stressed out you will eat them.
“I cannot control everything in my life, but I can control what I put in my body”.
I appreciate your healthy tips and I hope as many persons will read and make use of such valuable health information. I am not overweight but I agree with you that we can control what we put in our mouths.
LikeLiked by 1 person
Ur welcome . Thanks . I appreciate the feedback.❤️🙏🏾