My Sleeping Tips:
Sleep is very important for our wellbeing but a lot of people are struggling to get enough sleep. Every year, new research comes out saying that lack of sleeping is leading people to chronic health care problems such as hypertension, heart disease, diabetes, weight gain and getting sick easily because of weaker immune system.
I have been working the night shift (7p-7a) for more than five years. In the beginning of my nursing career and for years I struggled with sleeping. When I worked nights I sleep an average of 6-7 hours. When I am at home, I get 7-9 hours of sleep at night. The tips below as help my sleeping routine tremendous.
My sleeping tips:
- Get blackout curtains because it prevents the light from coming inside your bedroom.
- Wear an eye mask for sleeping to bed.
- Keep your bedroom dark, less light is better when it’s time to sleep.
- Limit caffeine use during the day.
- Limit naps during the day.
- Turn off your mind by focusing on your breathing or meditation.
- Exercise regularly (I always sleep better when I exercise regularly).
- Make sure your sleeping environment is comfortable.
- Go to bed at the same time each night – (set a bedtime routine).
- Watch a comedy show (when you are laughing you are more relaxed and easy to fall asleep) laughing is the best medicine because your body release endorphins. I love watching I LOVE Lucy or The Jefferson’s or The Golden Girls.
- Use Lavender essential oils ( see herbal tea blog)
- Favorite new essential oil is Clary Sage because it promotes feelings of relaxation and calming. It reduced stress and anxiety
- When it’s to relax or sleep, I drop some of Lavender and Clary Sage essential oil on a cotton pad or cotton ball I sniff it and take some take breath in and out. I really feel relaxed after a couple of minutes.
- Take melatonin pill at night to help you to sleep.
- Drinking ½ cup of cherry tart juice ( Cheribundi natural tart cherry juice) because it contains naturally melatonin to help you sleep more. Cherry tart juice is full of other benefits such as boosting immunity and reduces soreness.
- These are my favorite body wash from Bath and Body Works: Stress relief (Sandalwood and Eucalyptus), Sleep (Lavender & Cedarwood) and Sleep (Black Chamomile). I use one with favorite soap when I take a shower and it helps me feel calmer. Also, I like to use relax (lavender & Cedarwood) with natural essentials scented candle.
- Drink sleepy time tea or chamomile tea to help me sleep ( See Herbal Tea blog)
- I have learned to combine two different types of sleepy time tea to help me sleep better. Also, I have learned that when I drink same sleepy time tea for longer time my body get used to the tea so I don’t get the same results.
- Also, I drink celery juice in the morning or evening, I have noticed I slept longer, deeper and I did not wake up every two or three hours. I woke feeling rested and hydrated. (See celery juice blog on how to prepare it).
My sleep tips video #1
My Favorite products that has help me to sleep video #2
Bath/ shower products that help me to sleep video #3
“Every next level of your life will demand a different you!” I hope my sleeping tips have helped you achieve better sleep because sleep is essential to our well-being.